Counterterrorism analyst is a person who analyzes terrorist attack plans; local, international and undercover plans. Counterterrorism analysts are saddled with the responsibility to discover, disrupt and pull apart all suspicious terrorist moves before they actualize their attack plans.
Counterterrorism analysts are to stop any individual displaying an act of terrorism at any level, because such individual may be alone or part of a terrorist network.
Since the 2001 September 11 attack, the US government Counterterrorism division has been employing capable hands into the division to uncover all possible trace of internal or external terrorist plan.
Information from Counterterrorism analyst are handed down to the local, state and federal security and law enforcement agencies and to certain private sector as necessary or required for national security.
Law makers and policy designers uses Counterterrorism analytical reports to inert or modify policies and laws as required for optimum security measures.
When it comes to issues of security against terrorist attacks, Counterterrorism Analyst is an eye to be nurtured (very important personnel in the matter); and are to be listened to, for they are intelligent minds capable of decoding terrorist codes and secret plans.
To become a Counterterrorism analyst, you need to be educated and show great deal of intelligence in terrorist matters. You have to also possess certain specified qualities that tallies with Counterterrorism analyst job.
Counterterrorism Analyst is a very sensitive position in fight against terrorism. Thus, the entry stakes are high. Minimum requirement is; a university or college degree in certain fields of study such as:
- Regional Studies, especially Islam or Middle Eastern Studies
- Public Policy
- Political Science
- Physical sciences (biology, chemistry, microbiology)
- National Security
- Middle Eastern Languages
- International Relations/Affairs
- Liberal Arts
- Engineering (aerospace, biomedical, chemical, electrical, nuclear, computer engineering, or computer science)
- Business (MBA)
- Behavioral Sciences
- Business Management and other related disciplines.
Someone with masters or PhD degree with other relevant special training or courses will have an edge during employment.
Other Qualifications or Qualities
If you are applying to become a counterterrorism analyst, you must;
- Have no record of illegal acts or drug usage for the past 1 year (12 month) at least, from the time of application.
- Possess great communication and writing skills
- Have ability to simplify complex info to a lay man’s understanding
- Be able to stand stress (stand the rigorous screening for aspiring counterterrorism analyst)
- Be medically, physically and psychologically fit
- Pass background investigation criteria
- Pass a polygraph interview
- Have Foreign language proficiency and clear thinking ability
Counterterrorism analyst work environment can be office based or field based. Counterterrorism analysts works with several agencies, it can be government or private agencies. The 2 major government agencies that you can find Counterterrorism analyst are the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). Other work places are with national defense and security structures or organizations.
Counterterrorism analyst basic salary is an average of $50,861 – $98,305 per year excluding other allowances. Higher officers, special duty and uncover counterterrorism analyst earn more.
Are you ready to pursue a criminal justice career? Get information on programs in your area and online using our criminal justice degree finder at the top of this page. ↑